Monday, October 25, 2010

I’ve Always Said This Blog Is Only 99% Poop Jokes.

Sometimes I have this urge to push someone in front of a train, but then I realize that's something I should obviously never share on a blog.

But I am proud I shared my feelings about my friend Chas, after he died in 2008. I’ve had more responses to that entry than anything I’ve ever written. Old friends of Chas, unaware he’d passed away, will Google him, read my blog, then send me very sweet messages, thanking me for writing it. Truth be told, it kind of wrote itself.

Chas’ brother Wayne, a part-time musician, was so inspired by the entry that he wrote a song about Chas called “Courage Street,” and has been performing it live in clubs where he lives in upstate New York.

Last week, execs at a record company here in Los Angeles heard the song, contacted Wayne, and want him to write more for them. We were both overwhelmed.

It’s without a bit of irony that Chas, who lived the experiences of ten men in his life (shit that still makes me shake my head in disbelief) is now, in his death, paving the way for his brother’s life-changing big break.

Congratulations, Wayne. Let’s both keep writing.