Friday, August 27, 2010

Come Back, Sir.

In what can only be described as a potential spinoff to “The Beverly Hillbillies,” my family took a trip to London a few years back. My dad had the biggest bout of culture shock, particularly one night as we tried to cross a street after dinner. The driving-on-the-opposite-side-of-the-street thing tripped him up, and he hesitated, so my mom dragged him across and snapped at him. My brothers and I cracked up, then turned to see a distinguished couple crossing from the opposite side, looking at us as if we were maniacs. And then we realized it was Gene Hackman and his wife.

I’ve been so wanting to work with Gene and mention that story, but it’s looking like I’ll never get the chance. Has anyone noticed that he hasn’t done a film in six years? He mentioned in interviews that he wanted to retire, and seems to really be sticking to his promise, and that kinda sucks. Somebody who knows somebody has to convince him to come back.

* * *

Hey – Friday’s here – best day of the week. With the exception of four or five people, I hope everyone in the world has a really great weekend.