Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Trained By The Best.

There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

That’s why my favorite teachers have always been patient and compassionate. And my newest favorite is my improv instructor, Will McLaughlin. You may already be familiar with Will’s work, in the Funny or Die "Undercover Karaoke with Jewel" video. That’s him, above, posing as one of Jewel’s “coworkers,” second from left.

Will was born to be an improv actor. He’s stunningly well-read, and can shift gears with knowledge of anything from history to literature to pop culture. One night, Will, an Irish guy from Atlanta, even knew the term for the curls orthodox Jews wear on the sides of their heads – “peyos” – and when I asked him how the hell he knew that, he pointed at me and said, “I pay attention!”

I'll find out soon enough if I'm smarter than a fifth grader, but smarter than a teacher – hell no.