Monday, July 19, 2010

My World Shrinks Daily.

I’m always happy to bust the myth about actors’ competitiveness. You’d think in a business crammed with so many people gunning for so few jobs, it’d be rife with resentment whenever one of us succeeds. Kinda like when pro ballplayers get roped into a Celebrity All-Star Softball Game, and they're ticked off that their agents convinced them to play, but now they have to pretend to be excited because Dave Coulier just went deep.

Actually, I’ve never met a more supportive group of people. I think the prevailing notion is that if we all help each other, we’ll all eventually work. And the longer I spend in show business, the smaller this friendly world gets, to the point in which I’m starting to recognize at least one actor friend of mine during every commercial break. I run with a pretty prolific bunch.

Above is Matt Riedy, who plays the father of the bride in a Twix commercial running like crazy right now. Matt works a lot, as a regular on “Big Time Rush” on Nickelodeon, and recent guest-starring spots on “Desperate Housewives” and “Mad Men.” And he’s just a really good guy.

Carrie Fisher summed it up really well: “Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.” Take it elsewhere, haters.