Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Third Good Movie Of The Year.

I fully accept my intellectual limitations. I didn’t attend an Ivy League school (sorry, Mom) but I didn’t exactly attend clown college either (sorry, Wake Forest alumni.)

So I'm at least qualified enough to recommend a super intelligent flick. And the new documentary, Exit Through the Gift Shop, is just that.

The doc is shot mostly by Thierry Guerra, a dude from France who owned a vintage clothing store in Hollywood in the 90s. After Thierry’s mother died when he was ten, he was quickly scuttled off to live with his grandmother, and left with few memories of his mom. This resulted in an addiction to capture on video every moment of his own children’s lives, which then grew to an obsession with recording everything in his own life.

Back in France for a visit, Thierry stumbled one night upon his cousin preparing some art to be stuck on buildings in their hometown. Thierry tagged along, and that was it – he was hooked. In return for permission to shoot some of the most infamous street artists of the last decade, Thierry became their accomplice, looking out for cops and holding ladders if need be. And that’s just where the film begins to get really interesting.

See it. You’ll love it. By the way, the first and second good movies this year are Hot Tub Time Machine and Iron Man 2. And if you think I’m showing my state-school degree with those picks, whatev. I guess I can solidify by suggesting you kiss my white butt.