Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Once Again, I Get Schooled.

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working. Even if their line of work involved creating improv sketches based on the word “taint.”

Last night I went back to the grind, with my first class at the next level: improv 201. I’ll spend the summer at the Meta Theater, working on my skills. While it’s great to be move up to double-A ball, it’s some very heady stuff.

My new teacher, Will McLaughlin, came highly recommended, and last night he didn’t disappoint. He’s smart, wants us to really do well and cuts right to the chase. In trying to emphasize the most important element of improv – basing everything in serious reality instead of sheer craziness – he gave as an example not to set a scene in a unicorn BJ factory.

It was arguably the most favorite thing I’ve ever written in a notebook.