Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Big-Boy Clothes.

There may be one positive result of the current economy, besides finally putting an end to the travesty known as women's professional sports: persistent actors move one notch up.

At least that’s the thought I used yesterday to motivate my ass from my nap on the living room floor (don’t judge ‘til you try it) to stuff myself into a suit and head up to an audition.

Motivation was necessary, because the odds are against me on this one. I rustled up this audition on my own, without my agent, and all that was required from me when I got there were some still shots. I would have preferred to act and have more control over my chances, but that wasn’t an option. Plus, I knew going in that the commercial shoots either Sunday or Monday, and I’m already shooting the tail end of the pilot on Sunday. So even if I book it, it’s 50/50 I’ll even be available.

It’s a sliver of an opening for me to run through, but I knew that other actors in the same situation would have flaked on the whole thing. Or for that matter, they’ve just dropped out of the business altogether because times have gotten tough. So thank you, economy. You are like a roach bomb for actors, and I love it.