Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Must Be In The Front Row.

I was in the grocery store last night and “The Curly Shuffle” was playing on the PA. I am on a bad publicly-played music run of late.

Luckily, however, I’ve got another source keeping me fully entertained. One of the requirements of the improv class I’m taking is that I have to see two shows at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater before the class’ eight-week run is up. While the bare minimum might be good for some non-maniac types, well, for me, let’s just say by the time the class ends in two weeks, I’ll have seen upwards of 20 shows.

By far, the toughest thing about being an actor is the sheer amount of competition I'm up against. But it comes in all degrees of dedication. Most actors invest so much in one aspect of their craft that their careers turn into poorly-diversified portfolios. Which is why I take pride in attending not only improv classes, but audition classes, along with four casting workshops each week. If it takes me a long time to start working consistently in this business, it ain’t gonna be from lack of effort.

And if “The Curly Shuffle” is now stuck in your brain like it’s been in mine for the past 12 hours, chances are I’ll be at the UCB Theater if you want to smack me in the back of the head.