Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rest In Peace, Fellas.

My friend and I debated over the weekend whether it’s better to have had success at a young age and lost it, or to never have had it at all. Going from films like Murphy’s Romance, to desperately needing work, to dying young is a true Hollywood tragedy. Yesterday, Corey Haim’s IMDb page’s popularity was down 6% just a few days after he passed away. In the end, he was relegated to just a goofy punch line. Chalk it up to the ultimate bad hand of being forever linked with another guy named Corey. I may have to place a restraining order on anyone named Matt.

Peter Graves put the fun back in child molestation with his deadpan portrayal of Captain Clarence Oveur in the movie Airplane. But I highly recommend catching a few “Mission Impossible” reruns. The best part is always at the beginning of each episode, in which Graves’ character Jim Phelps assembles the team for that day’s mission. (Hint: if he chooses the cool black dude, the episode is going to rock.) My big brother and I almost walked out of the film version, which featured Jon Voight playing Jim Phelps as a turncoat who eventually eats it. Blasphemy.