Friday, January 29, 2010

My Ten Favorite Movies of '09.

Lately, as I revise my latest script, I’ve become such a shut-in that Howard Hughes would beg me to get some fresh air.

And if you also suffer from a slight case of agoraphobia, allow me to help you spiff up your weekend. Most of the following titles are already out on DVD – get a few in before the Oscar nominations are announced on Tuesday. In order:

1) Inglourious Basterds. How much has Quentin Tarentino matured as a filmmaker? He didn’t put himself in this one.

2) Up in the Air. This was so close to being my #1 choice. But scalping Krauts trumps laying off workers.

3) The Messenger. A perfect movie about a soldier burdened with the awful task of notifying next of kin. I won’t sully it with a wiseass comment.

4) The Hangover. Best comedy of the year. It’s about time we saw the side of Vegas that makes you want to pack Purel.

5) Adventureland. Best summed up with this scene:
Sue O'Malley: What are you majoring in?
Joel: Russian literature and Slavic languages.
Sue O'Malley: Oh wow, that's pretty interesting. What career track is that?
Joel: Cabby, hot dog vendor, marijuana delivery guy. The world is my oyster.

6) Sunshine Cleaning. Nothing like watching people clean up crime scenes for a living to make you appreciate being unemployed.

7) An Education. The kind of film my guy friends would hate. Then again, should I really respect the opinions of dudes who keep track of wrestling feuds?

8) Funny People. Very real and low-key. And excellent DVD commentary by Judd Apatow, Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen, who just riff about their days as struggling comedians. Lots of dick jokes – but the good kind.

9) The Merry Gentleman. Remember how hilarious Michael Keaton was in Mr. Mom? This is not that. Great slow-burn; Michael’s directorial debut.

10) Extract. Hilarious. And Mila Kunis is the hottest Jewess of all time.