Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day 2: Culture. And All That Crap.

Quality, original theater vs. adapted-kid-movie theater. It’s the difference between champagne and carbonated pee.

I blogged about this once before, and people got all worked up. What I learned was that everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but I’m entitled to fact. And last night, I saw a David Mamet play on Broadway called Race that truly backs me up. It was perfect.

Only James Spader can play a lawyer this charismatic. David Alan Grier got the most out of his Yale drama degree. Kerry Washington was hot and focused. And Richard Thomas – well, John Boy has grown up.

Mamet did such a nice job with his writing that the senile folks in the audience actually unwrapped their hard candies gingerly, so as not to miss a word.

If you make it to New York this year, see this play. That is, unless you prefer the domestic pee.