Monday, November 30, 2009

Festivus, Part XXXVIII.

The summer between my first and second senior year of college (I hadn’t gotten dining hall burgers or sleeping with my underclassman girlfriend out of my system), my friend Rob and I took a road trip from New York to visit our friend Ted, who was spending a year working in Toronto.

It’s one of my manliest of memories. We spent a few days bringing home steaks from the farmer’s market and grilling them at Ted’s place. We took the ferry out to Toronto Island and played Frisbee golf. We busted balls with the locals at downtown sports bars. We watched our Yankees play the Blue Jays at SkyDome, then drove to Detroit to see a Tigers game. Yes, Detroit – the murder capital of the Midwest.

So I have a special fondness for Toronto, and it came back fully when I found out the city’s Moving Image Film Festival was the 38th fest to accept my film. Who wants a 5% alcohol-by-volume beer?

One last manly memory: I even got a speeding ticket doing 90 in a 65 heading up to Toronto. Though, on second thought, that wasn’t so manly because I was driving my mom’s Volvo. Boxy, but lame.