Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Robert De Niro Is No Patrick Swayze.

I am a Double Whopper with cheese when it comes to arguing. How else could I have nailed that B-minus in my college debate class?

It’s with this enormous credibility that I stake the claim: Patrick Swayze had a better career than Robert De Niro.

It’s true. When it comes to laying-on-the-couch, flipping through the channels, must-see movies, Patrick wins.

Sure, The Godfather had an Academy Award-winning script. But Roadhouse had a monster truck and knife-tipped cowboy boots.

Did Mean Streets have pissing into a truck’s radiator, Red Dawn style? I’m not sure, but I can check.

Patrick Swayze could jité in Dirty Dancing, then avenge a hillbilly brother’s death in Next of Kin. He could play a kickass guy named Race Darnell, then a drag queen named Vida.

Point Break. Youngblood. Uncommon Valor. The Outsiders. The “Chippendales” sketch on SNL. A top-ten song. For Christ’s sake, the guy had to look Whoopi Goldberg in the face and believe she was Demi Moore. If that ain’t the performance of the century, I don’t know what is.

Rest in peace, sir. Pain don’t hurt.