Tuesday, August 11, 2009

And Jealousy Rears Its Ugly Head.

If I learned anything from my Cabbage Patch Kid, Monty, it’s the importance of friendship. Which is why I dig attending film festivals, and meeting other actors and filmmakers who are doing their thing.

The other night, playing before my film at the Laemmle, was The Small Somewhere. It’s one of the best short films I’ve ever seen.

Above on the left is Eric Giancoli, the star of the film. He plays a gung-ho security guard with a toughness and knuckleheadedness that gives Patrick Warburton a real run for his money. I told Eric he’s going to star in his own TV series soon. He humbly disagreed.

On the right is Kumar Pallana, who you might recognize from Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums. Kumar has played a guy named Kumar in no less than six films, which I believe makes him India’s answer to Tony Danza.

Most impressive was director Nikolas Smith, who along with a partner wrote, cast and shot this gem in just two weeks. They’re going to sweep festivals in a way that will make me feel like Tony Dorsett when Eric Dickerson was breathing down his neck for the rushing record.

I’ll milk my run while it lasts. Then shamelessly beg these guys for a role.

See this film.