Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 1: The Ugly American.

Had to take a pic with my Mac tonight, as I’m having camera issues (just one issue really – I left the camera on my kitchen counter in L.A.) Tomorrow I’ll decide if I want to take it in the ass and buy an overpriced digi camera here.

I'll paint a picture with some random thoughts instead:

 The city is really alive with colors and energy. Lots of people in the streets in tuxes and fancy dresses. Flash bulbs pop everywhere for celebrities, half of whom are foreign stars I don’t recognize... Hundreds of outdoor cafés, and when you walk past them you’ll hear conversations in seven different languages… Bunch of white dudes in the streets breakdancing for cash… Very walkable town, though you gotta use extreme peripheral vision as the locals don’t pick up after their dogs. I escaped unscathed… Incredible promotions for films everywhere, including a gigantic water fountain display off the coast, with movie promos projected onto it while music blares… My hotel is a very convenient walk to the Festival Palace, and my room is nice and cozy but has iffy Internet and one TV channel in English, featuring some British dandy who rattles off top stories in order of search popularity on the Web. Europeans really digging some dude who can ride a motorcycle lying down today. They’re a cultured folk. 

Stay tuned.