Friday, April 3, 2009

Thanks For The Saturday Off, Creep.

I created this blog to give insight into the good, bad and vile side of the road to showbiz.

Presenting: the vile.

One of the first casting workshops I ever attended featured a very cool, young casting director from a hit network drama. He was a teddy-bear-type of father with young kids, and such a great sense of humor that it was surprising he chose to stay behind the camera.

To protect the guilty, let’s call him Mr. X.

Actors loved this guy, and spoke highly of him, until one day he was fired by the very respected casting company for which he’d worked for ten years. The rumor was that he’d made an inappropriate proposition to an actress after a workshop, and she’d reported it to his office.

I didn’t believe the accusation for a second. This was obviously some crazy, diva actress who got her signals crossed. Then it came out that this wasn't his first complaint. And then I realized that this MFer had focused his attention on a cute woman in my workshop. At the time, I figured he asked her to stay afterward to work more on her scene meant he had a role on his show that week that was perfect for her, and he was going to coach her. I’m a naïve idiot.

In all the workshops Mr. X ever attended, not once did he ask a male actor to stay after and work on a scene. The guy is a total P-hound, and got deservedly S-canned.

Mr. X is now scrambling to teach classes and cast low-rent indie films – anything to make money. Tomorrow, he’s returning to the workshop I attend, and, since I have a penis, I figure my day is better spent hiking in Malibu. Should be nice: sunny, 67°, letch-free.

Appreciate you not keeping it in your pants, big guy.