Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I’m Back, Baby.

Feel free to bungee jump, flip your ‘Vette, run with scissors or all of the above. Have I got some blood for you.

Kickass, AB+ universal-donor blood.

That’s me, above, yesterday morning at the Red Cross. Where the blood flows like free apple juice. My body’s back to normal, and it was damn good to be there.

As a struggling actor, I don’t have the cash or the time to give back to society as much as I’d like to. So I give blood as often as legally/physically possible: every 60 days.

It all started years ago, when my dad was scheduled to have an aortic valve replacement. The hospital in New York recommended we have friends donate blood just in case it would be needed during the surgery. My big brother worked at an ad agency in NYC at the time, mentioned it at his office, and many of his coworkers took time out of their days to donate. I was overwhelmed.

I’m not going to ask that you join me in donating. Actually, yes I am. It’s quick, it’s convenient and it’s very much in demand. The Red Cross staff is friendly and the snacks are yummy. You might save a life. You might save a thousand lives. You might save your own life. You rock.