Friday, November 14, 2008

Whaaa?

I ain’t the sharpest. I watched “Boston Legal” nine times before I realized it wasn’t a new “Star Trek”. So consider me flat-out baffled when I read about a film coming out next year called Inglourious Basterds.

The plot, via IMDb: “In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a group of Jewish-American soldiers known as "The Basterds" are chosen specifically to spread fear throughout the Third Reich by scalping and brutally killing Nazis. The Basterds soon cross paths with a French-Jewish teenage girl who runs a movie theater in Paris which is targeted by the soldiers.”

Here are just a few of the oddities that caught my eye.

Quentin Tarentino is the director. I personally challenge the man to somehow incorporate Japanime into a WWII period piece.

In a belated Chanukah gift to my people, Brad Pitt will play a Jew. A Hillbilly Jew from Tennessee, actually. We haven’t been this proud since Daniel Craig got shpilkes in Munich.

Samuel L. Jackson merely narrates the film. This is a real head-scratcher, because I thought Samuel was contractually obligated to be on camera in every movie ever made. Heck, I was watching my brother’s wedding video recently, and I’ll be damned if Sammy L. didn’t make an appearance.

Mike Myers plays a general. An evil general? A general with a Scottish accent? A general that drinks poop? Details, please.

Can’t wait to see the final product in June of ’09.

Weekend’s here. Let’s have a can of beer.