Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mini Hits It Big.

On Wednesday nights, I’m part of an ongoing workshop, in which big-time writers and directors bring in new scripts to have actors perform scenes from them. They get to hear their work out loud, direct us, and if they like us, call us in for auditions.

Last week’s guest was TV showrunner Nat Bernstein. I find the term showrunner to be misleading; while it’s the industry title for people who make $400,000 a week executive-producing TV shows, it sounds more like what you call the kid who makes minimum to hoof it to the commissary for a dozen bagels.

Anywho, at the end of the night, Nat was asked for one piece of advice he could give actors. His answer was brilliantly succinct: “When your big opportunity comes, be prepared.”

A few days after Nat’s mantra was still resonating, I had a workshop with Todd Sherry, casting director for the TV show “Chuck”. Todd told a story about needing to cast a sexy female spy for an episode. An agent had sent him a headshot for a former Victoria’s Secret model named Mini Anden. Her only credits were fashion reality shows, but Todd figured he’d give the writers and producers a treat and have this very pretty woman come in.

Mini auditioned and wound up completely knocking it out of the park. They gave her the role. The episode aired, and the next day, the phones in Todd’s office rang off the hook. Producers all over Hollywood wanted to know who this woman was and how she could be reached. Her life changed in a flash.

When I moved in to my apartment, I took over the lease from my now sister-in-law. Left behind were some furniture, pots and pans, and a bottle of champagne in the fridge. I asked a friend what I should do with the champagne, and he said, “You’ll know when to open it.” You guys will be the first to know when I do.