Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Hot Racist.

Cali is one very blue state. Like, Windex blue. But occasionally I bump into a new immigrant with a fresh perspective.

Her name was Vanessa, and she was a cute blonde who had just moved here from Arizona. I met her at the swank bar at the Viceroy Hotel.

She was there with a friend, and as the friend was off in a corner getting friendly with a guy she met, Vanessa mentioned her disproval of the guy, because he was, well, Jewish.

I held my tongue. Okay, gimme a break– this was way back in 2006, and I was young and didn’t know any better. Especially when Vanessa then asked me, “You’re not Jewish, are you?” I told her when it comes to religion, I pretty much do whatever Oprah tells me to do.

She brought me back to her place.

Turns out Vanessa’s intense bigotry was only outweighed by her Victorian prudishness. So no action for me.

Maybe there is a God after all.