Wednesday, October 28, 2020

An Excerpt.

When I call 911, I’m going to do a Christopher Walker impersonation to briefly amuse the jurors at my trial. 

But my skills will never measure up to those of Martin Short. While searching for something in his book, I Must Say, which I read last year and loved, I came across the following passage that begins with a film he shot with Nick Nolte: 
There was a scene in Three Fugitives in which Nick had to wear hospital scrubs, and that became his basic look, I think, for years thereafter. Circa 2005, more than fifteen years after we’d worked together, I was at the Toronto Film Festival, staying at the Four Seasons, when who should walk into the elevator but Nick Nolte – in hospital scrubs. Not having noticed me, he took his place at the front. I had, during our time on Three Fugitives, developed a dead-on impression of him. In my most ravaged, guttural Nolte voice, I croaked, “I hear Nick Nolte’s an asshole.”  
Nick didn’t know it was me, and in hindsight, he might very well have turned around and punched me in the face. Arguably, he should have. But he merely pivoted partway, not even bothering to look back, and said resignedly in his most ravaged, guttural Nolte voice, “I don’t disagree.”