Tuesday, September 22, 2020

One More Excerpt.

My friend Mark said he won’t get a tattoo because “you don’t put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari.” Which is weird because he’s a ’92 Chevy Caprice at best. 

The bumper sticker that always caught my eye was from radio station Froggy 101 on “The Office.” I always get a kick out of authenticity, and this show had plenty of it. It came up in the anthology book I’m reading in a story from Mari Potis of the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce:
I got a call from Phil Shea, a property master who told me they were doing a pilot for a TV show about a fictional paper company that would be set in Scranton. He wanted to use a Scranton Chamber of Commerce sign for the walls and then asked if I would help with some other items for the show. Then for the next nine years, I became the person that got them authentic Scranton props for the background. Eventually, we sent them truckloads of items submitted from local businesses that lined up to donate them at Steamtown mall, hoping to get free advertising on TV. It was the yellow Froggy 101 sticker (from Dwight’s desk), pizza boxes and newspapers… whatever they needed.