Monday, February 10, 2020

Short And Sweet.

Short films are entirely compelling because they get right to the story. Like imagine how awesome The Karate Kid could have been if Daniel had just bought a gun.

Saturday, I took my nephew to see a screening compilation of the live-action shorts nominated for an Oscar this year. They were entirely compelling. One of them, titled Saria, told the tragic true nightmare of teen girls trapped in a Guatemalan orphanage (prison, really) so dramatically, that it made a woman sitting in our row sob for 10 minutes. But the one we liked best was called The Neighbors’ Window, about a married couple with three young kids who yearn to regain the passion of a young, horny couple they see in an apartment across the street from them in Brooklyn It’s a fascinating twist on the grass being greener, and I’ll be damned, but movie won last night.

It was a nice night for my nephew, who shared with me that he doesn’t get out and see LA as much as he’d like to. I’ll fix that. We followed the screening with dinner at Shake Shack, and the ultimate french fry contest. I won for longest fry, he eked out shortest one. See above pic.