Friday, February 21, 2020

In Which I Eulogize An Inanimate Object.

I never lock my car. What is someone gonna steal? My stack of Chipotle napkins? Perhaps my broken sunglasses? The bottle of water my nephew opened and took one sip of? They’d be doing me a favor.

Well now I no longer need to bother locking this car anyway, because it is no longer mine. The lease ended and I turned it in. I’m sentimental every time I do this. In LA, your ride is your sanctuary.

I’ll remember all the times I ran lines behind the wheel on the way to auditions. Or hoisted Ricky’s big butt into the back seat. The meals I ate while steering with my knees. 56,000 miles of memories.

Knowing it was his last ride in my SUV, my nephew asked if I could drive like a maniac one more time, like I did when he and his sister were little, and they’d sit in the third-row seat behind Ricky in the middle. I obliged. Music blaring, car weaving, latest chapter ending.