Thursday, January 23, 2020

I Blow Glass.

Just once I’d like to walk around nude drinking a scotch without an art class trying to sketch me.

But I get it. The arts. I’ve recently taught myself how to cook. And paint. I made soap. I grew a lawn from scratch. I’m a renaissance man. Except I’m not riddled with plague.

I don’t recall exactly what made me look up glassblowing classes last week, but I found a great one in Venice, and yesterday, I went from complete novice to a guy who created three pieces of glass. I don’t have pictures of them yet, because they’ll be in the annealer (a kiln-like contraption; I know way too many glassblowing words now) until Friday.

Yeah it’s all nutty, but I love learning new, creative things. It’s meditative. It’s fun. It makes me better at problem solving. It makes me a better actor. Whoever dies with the most skills wins.