Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Travesty.

When writer/director/actor/masturbator Louis CK pitched his great show “Louie” to FX, they told him, “We’ll give you $200,000 to make each episode – or $300,000 if you let us give you notes.” Louie said, “I’ll take the two hundred grand.”

Smart move on both sides. The result was a very poignant sitcom. While it was eventually dropped thanks to Louie’s infamy, I wish NBC had shown the same original faith to “AP Bio,” one of my favorite shows, which was canceled the other day.

“AP Bio” is smart and subversive and nutty – completely my type of show, but after two seasons, NBC pulled the plug. It set off a virtual Boston Tea Party of backlash. #SaveAPBio trended #1 on Twitter.
I’ve said it before, and I suppose I should be used to this by now, but there will always be one great sitcom on the air that will be unfairly canceled, so enjoy it while it’s here, grieve when it’s gone but know that another short-lived gem is coming.

Ironically, the show that follows “AP Bio” is “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” my very favorite show, which was canceled by FOX last year and immediately picked up by NBC. Follow suit, FOX, Netflix, or Hulu. Please and thank you.