Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Sweet Ride.

Whenever people ask for Elon Musk to be forced out of his job, they oughta think twice, because that’s how Spider-Man villains are made.

Give the guy credit for building the only car that impresses anyone these days. I’d been wanting to drive a Tesla for years, and finally had the chance yesterday. Minutes after my friend TJ’s new Model 3 was delivered, he insisted I get behind the wheel.

I drove it, and I also didn’t drive it – TJ hit autopilot and the car accelerated, steered, and braked behind cars on its own. I took the above pic with both hands at 40 mph.

Tesla bills the Model 3 as “the car of the future”. It receives software updates like an iPhone or laptop, so imagine a car that gets better every few months. The next update will enhance the auto-pilot so that it recognizes stop signs and red lights and stops for them. The robot uprising is near. 

Check out this new feature called “summon”, in which the car backs slightly out of a spot on its own so you can get inside without dinging someone’s door. It’s the trippiest thing.

Electric cars have come a long way since I wondered why people in them didn’t get electrocuted when it rained. Who knew.