Monday, January 22, 2018

Culinary Corner.

Chicken pot pie sounds like a delicious three-course meal. If you add commas.

It’s one of my favorites, and since I was feeling cocky after using my oven all of one time, I decided to make a chicken pot pie. And I chose to make the crust from scratch.

Anyone can just buy a crust, but where’s the satisfaction? (Ask me in a few weeks, because my friend Jenn, who has outstanding baking skills, assures me there’s no shame in purchasing certain ingredients, and I’ll soon prefer it.) For now, I compare my foray into baking to last season’s Yankees – a bunch of rookies who weren’t supposed to win much, but because of their inexperience, didn’t know it, and they won like crazy.

Here’s how it looked after I added the top crust.

And here’s the finished product. I let it bake past the required 30 minutes, because I like my crust well-done. I also added potatoes to the filling, because for me that’s a classic pot-pie necessity.

It turned out entirely delicious, and unlike the very popular Costco chicken pot, mine doesn’t contain any hydrogenated oils. Stick to Adidas track suits, Costco. Stay in your lane.