Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Champions.

Soccer is so numbing, you could pierce my ears during a match and I’d never know.

And yet I enjoy my nephew’s soccer games. Maybe because I spend the whole time on the sideline telling his teammates that I bet on the other team, or asking them where they’re going to buy me a burger if they win. And when they win, I put my hands up in the air and shout “I win! I win!” They’re not keen on that one.

Lately, his team has been winning like crazy. They won the city title, and were now gunning for the South Bay championship. On Saturday, my nephew, the team’s goalie (that’s him in yellow), made a huge stop on a shootout to win the semi-finals. Then on Sunday, they beat El Segundo to win it all.

Win it all locally, that it is. Next month they start the state playoffs in Riverside. (Parents lament to me that it never ends. Handy tip: just tell your kid he didn’t make the team.)

I’ll be there to support him. I have to. During timeouts, that butt’s not gonna stand on itself.