Monday, November 13, 2017

I Celebrate The Good Celebrities. Part I.

If you watch 2017 backwards, it’s a heartwarming story of famous people learning how to behave just by trending on the Internet.

Yeah, it’s been bad lately. And the bad folks deserve everything they get. But what about the good guys? On Friday, writer Charles Clymer posted this:
He immediately had thousands of replies. It made me think of both my own encounters, and many related to me by friends. It can really cheer you up: 
  • When I was a kid, in a restaurant in NYC, Ron Howard was walking toward me, ushering his little boy to the men’s room. Ron must have seen the star-struck look on my face and gave me the warmest hello.  
  • On the two occasions I worked with Jay Leno, he had every right to scream at crew members who weren’t doing their jobs well. (Slowing down a shoot, or interrupting a recording.) Instead, Jay very, very sweetly asked them to make a correction.
  • My friend Jamie told me: “Robin Williams used to bring his cars in to my dad’s old repair shop. My dad said he was the funniest guy ever and equally cool. He brought lunch for everybody on the staff when he came in to the joint.”
  • Jamie also stood with his son amongst a crowd of fans outside Angel Stadium one night after a ballgame. Derek Jeter came out of the visitor’s locker room and began signing autographs. Eventually, he was told the team bus was about to leave, but Derek chose to stay. He signed his name for every fan, which took 90 minutes, then took a cab back to the hotel. 
  • Sally Field’s former assistant told me Sally was the sweetest boss, and acted like a second mother to her. 
  • A top special-effects supervisor said that every Friday on set, Hugh Jackman brings lottery tickets for the entire crew.
Much better, right? More tomorrow.