Thursday, August 31, 2017

One Last Excerpt.

I don’t know about you, but I still remember what I was doing when I found out Kennedy had been shot: sitting at home, reading the JFK Wikipedia page.

For Alec Baldwin, the Kennedys hold a particular significance in his life. His dad idolized them, and brought Alec to St. Patrick’s Cathedral for Bobby Kennedy’s funeral. Years later, Alec was able to get to know Bobby’s widow, Ethel.

I finished reading Alec’s new autobiography yesterday, and wanted to share one more interesting passage:
Not all of the Kennedys are created equal in terms of the ineffable quality that distinguishes them in American political life. The blend of charisma, the ability to articulate the facts, and the high level of passion are rare in politics these days. But no one can top Ethel Kennedy for her sheer life force. She is sharp, indefatigable, funny, intense, and well practiced at granting a chance to experience the Kennedy zeitgeist. In 1994, I was invited to the White House for a screening of Ron Howard’s film The Paper. To my delight, I was seated next to Ethel. At one point in the movie, a gun went off and Ethel grabbed my arm. To see the look on her face, all those years later, showed me that though she is tough, that moment is still there.