Tuesday, August 22, 2017

I Want More.

Years ago, a five-year-old Matthew Shevin was enjoying indoor-pool time during summer camp at the Rye YMCA when my mom showed up. An eclipse was scheduled to take place that afternoon, so she pulled me out of that pool, found my big brother, took us home and drew the shades. My mom is like IBS: unstoppable.

That day stuck with me, so yesterday I stayed inside, and let the moon do its thing. I’ll see the eclipse when it’s out of theaters and on cable in three months.

Don’t get me wrong – I like the communal aspect of it all. People gathered on the hill by Griffith Observatory here in LA to see the eclipse together, though we weren’t in the prime part of its path for a real show-stopper. The above shot was taken by the LA Times, and seems to be as good as it got.

Forgive me, Mom, but I want to see more eclipses. I’d like to think you’d agree, considering the only event that brought Americans together lately was OJ’s parole hearing. I’ll be fine – I never look up from my phone much, anyway.