Monday, January 23, 2017

Or Not.

Here’s a survival tip: if you get lost in a snowstorm, a compass can help you get lost more north.

I didn’t have a chance to put this to use, because my ski trip this past weekend was cancelled. It snowed in biblical proportions in Mammoth, making it impossible to get in or out of the area, and forcing the resort to close its lifts. The shot above was taken at the base of the mountain yesterday. Whiteout.

I was bummed, but then I suddenly realized: I had a bonus weekend. I wasn’t supposed to be in LA, and now I was interested to see what would happen. First: I had the yummiest Japanese lunch with friends at the Mitsuwa marketplace:

I was able to see an amazing play and meet a living legend. (More on that tomorrow):

And, with my Saturday free, I could donate blood:

Here’s a bonus weekend tip: hoard it. Be super productive. Or not. Get into ten-ayem-beer mode. Eat, see, give. I slept on the couch with Ricky while it poured outside. I did two loads of laundry, then met friends out for dinner. I caught up on shows that had been accumulating on my DVR. And I’ll still get to ski more weekends soon. Good weekend, in what’s already a good year.