Monday, November 7, 2016

Lighting A Fire On Your Monday Morning.

When speaking to my niece and nephew, I always end every sentence with “or else youll die” as a motivational tool.

Okay, perhaps I should let Kevin Smith take over. I’m currently reading his book Tough Shit: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good, which he wrote as a blueprint for success. In one chapter, he talks about wanting to thank all the people in his life who make him look like the smartest guy in the room. He calls them the “Why Not?” people:

There are plenty of “Why?” people in the world. Whenever you hit them with an idea, they start in with their bullshit.
 

Why bother? 
Why try that? 
Why do you think you’re better than everyone else? 
Why? 

To counteract this, simply surround yourself with folks who ask only “Why not?” As in: “Wanna make a movie?” “Sure. Why not?” 

Remember: it costs nothing to encourage someone, and the potential benefits are staggering. A pat on the back now could one day result in your favorite film, or the cartoon you love to get stoned watching or the song that saves your life. Discourage an artist, and you get absolutely nothing in return, ever. I’ve spent the better part of my career getting up after screenings and encouraging potential artists in the audience to give it a shot, pointing at myself as proof that anybody can make their dreams come true. I don’t do this altruistically – I’m selfishly insuring that I have cool shit to watch one day by encouraging anybody to following passions like film or storytelling. I’ve been sending a message to the next generation of filmmakers for the last two decades: get ready, ‘cause you’re up next.