Monday, January 4, 2016

A Toast.

I make one resolution every new year. Looks like I can check off “don’t die” from 2015.

In 2016, I’m raising the bar. I plan to be meaner and hotter.

I’ve spent the past three days thinking about Eleanor Roosevelt’s famous quote: “Do something every day that scares you.” It’s been attempted by many, and chronicled online – a year of scaring themselves – but to moderate success. The problem is the feasibility. Day one, they were practically committing felonies. By day 26, they were playing a little loose with the term “scare.” Emailing your ex doesn’t exactly make you a Navy Seal.

I propose this: how about we simply be better than last year? Elevate. Let’s all kiss, as if the Fresh Prince audience was making the “OOOoooo” sound the entire time. Or try a challenging new recipe. If you screw it up, just call it “Chicago style” and serve it anyway. And finally, incorporate “I don’t roll that way” into at least one conversation each week.

The pic featured on today’s post was taken yesterday. My niece asked Ricky if he was thirsty, and he took charge. I’m following his lead.