Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Say It Walking, Bitch.

I had Erasure’s “A Little Respect” stuck in my head on Monday. Yesterday, it was Lady Gaga’s “Paparrazi.” Tomorrow, I accelerate into a telephone pole.

At least these are original songs, performed by original performers. Not high-school talent-show level wannabes, clogging up the airwaves for 15 seasons.

As “American Idol” fades away, let’s all take a moment to realize how reality shows manifestly killed scripted content. And took thousands of jobs away from writers, crew and actors. “American Idol” itself bumped the show “Fringe” out of the Thursday night lineup. Now, it will be replaced by the new drama “Rosewood.” I have no idea what it’s about, but I’m huge fan.

Scripted TV is finally back. And it’s the best. It’s “Game of Thrones,” “Fargo,” “Downton Abby,” and “True Detective.” The best writers have come to TV, and not just TV – Netflix, Hulu and DirecTV. It’s a kickass time to be an actor.

Until they’re all gone, I wish every contest or reality show would be exiled to a single channel, which I could block. I love you, television.