Thursday, May 21, 2015

Goodnight.

What was hugely popular back in the day is always a head-scratcher in retrospect. I swear DJs would pause in the middle of “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It” in order to play “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It,” and then play the rest of “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It.”

David Letterman was once the funniest guy on the planet. I idolized him.

Tina Fey recently said, “For my generation, Dave completely defined the way we spoke to each other. I didn’t meet one boy in college who wasn't talking in Dave's cadence and ripping off his style. Whose deal will young people adopt now to try to impress each other? I worry for them.”

My friend Marc sounded so much like Dave, we eventually just called him Dave.

But then the real Dave moved to CBS, and the middle of the road with his humor and he lost a step. And he lost me. So I get it if you wonder what all the fuss is about.

All things change, and everything ends, and starting today we will no longer be living in a world in which David Letterman is on television five nights a week. For those of us who grew up on him, he leaves a hole shaped like a lifetime.