Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Really?

I love the Internet. And the Internet loves me back. Why else would it be offering me so much sex?

But there are moments when the web and I need a trial separation, because it’s spawned the worst thing imaginable: mock outrage.

Everybody’s offended by everything. “Saturday Night Live” recently aired a commercial parody that had an ISIS premise, and the Internet went kablooie. People said SNL was pro-terrorism, not thinking for a second that the show simply shot a funny sketch. Comedy pushes boundaries. The sketch mocked ISIS and a commercial for Toyota.

When Trevor Noah was named Jon Stewart’s replacement, people went apeshit, saying he was anti-Semitic because he tweeted: “Almost bumped a Jewish kid crossing the road. He didn't look b4 crossing but I still would have felt so bad in my German car!”

Anti-Semitic? No. Guilty of a lack of creativity? Sure. Do we really think he’s Anti-Semitic? His current job is reporting for “The Daily Show,” for Jon Stewart – the Jewiest guy on the planet.

A couple weeks ago, the sitcom “Workaholics” had an episode in which a dad smacked his pain-in-the-ass kid. Instead of showing the kid getting hit, it was seen as a shadow projected on a wall. And then before the credits rolled, this message in the above pic popped up. Was it really necessary?

The next day, I watched an episode of “The Odd Couple,” in which Felix took out his frustrations with Oscar while gutting a fish for dinner. As he chopped the real fish’s head off, all I could think was that we would never see that on a modern TV show. Imagine the backlash.

My point is this: I’ve been shooting comedy sketches recently, and was challenged a bit to cast one role because the premise was a little dark. But I’d rather push it, because that’s what comedy is supposed to do. And I would tell all actors that I’m going to write a bunch of sketches, and I’m going to make them as funny as I can, and you really should get on board. Play it safe, you lose. Internet be damned.