Friday, October 17, 2014

Yeah – What She Said.

Maybe I just screw up a lot because I’m a generous person who wants to make my friends look better.

But my friend Ted Melfi needs no help. He wrote and directed a new movie starring Bill Murray, and this is the week it’s getting a wide release.

It’s been interesting texting with Ted all week. I thought this would be the greatest moment of his life – launching his first huge film – but he’s actually as worried as any filmmaker no matter what the project.

Probably because producer Harvey Weinstein has been putting the pressure on, making it clear that the first weekend a film opens is everything. I thought I was rooting for Ted before, but now I’m obsessed, checking box office numbers more than him.

Well, St. Vincent actually opened last weekend, in a handful of theaters, and it wound up grossing more than any other film per theater. Like, way more.

Ted forwarded me Ellen’s tweet the other day, and it can’t hurt that she has 33 million followers on Twitter. Everybody, fingers crossed.