Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Gone Grit.

Under the exact right circumstances, I’m not afraid to take risks.

Ben Affleck? Not so much. When David Fincher, director of Gone Girl (and who has become the best director in Hollywood) wanted Ben to wear a Yankee cap in a crucial scene. But Ben, super Boston fan, refused. He told the New York Times:

“I said, ‘David, I love you, I would do anything for you, but I will not wear a Yankees hat. I just can’t. I can’t wear it because it’s going to become a thing, David. I will never hear the end of it. I can’t do it.’ And I couldn’t put it on my head.” 

So he wore a Mets cap. Not very ballsy.

On the other hand, it reminded me of an article I read in New York Magazine, about Jack Nicholson in The Departed:

Jack’s sadistic Irish Southie is so evil that he wears a Yankees hat on the streets of Boston. “First of all, they wanted me to wear a Red Sox hat,” he grumbles, “but I said, all things being equal, I don’t want to. “My Yanks, they came before the ¬Lakers, of course,” says the Jersey native. “But Kristen [Dalton], my inamorata in the picture, she wore a Red Sox cap both to subtly indicate domestic conflict and to politically mollify the fans in Boston.” 

It was a pleasure being at Fenway Park when the Sox buried the hatchet for one day and honored a Yankee. And now, rivalry restored.