Thursday, December 12, 2013

Brothers.

This holiday season, I wish I could give each of you an uncomfortably long, hard hug. to the point in which you have to say “okay” repeatedly.

And I did just that Tuesday night, but it was with more than friends – it was two of my frat brothers. Flanked to my left and right are Buzzy and Scott. Buzzy was in town for a big new business venture, so we got together and had a fancy reunion at Nobu in Malibu. A few highlights:
  • Also joining us were Buzzy’s new business partners, a couple named Dave and Randi Zabriskie. Dave is a pro cyclist with an incredible résumé: he was on the 2008 US Olympic team and won a stage of the 2005 Tour de France, beating his teammate Lance Armstrong by two seconds. 
  • At Nobu, you can’t throw a punch without hitting a famous person, including John C. McGinley, with whom I talked baseball for a minute. He and I are huge Yankee fans. 
  • Nobu’s menu is phenomenal. Their two signature dishes – black cod with miso, and rock shrimp tempura – were the best I’ve had this year. Meanwhile, the McRib gets all the press, but who wouldn’t get excited about the return of unidentifiable meats?
  • When it comes to post-graduate success, I’d put my fraternity up against any other in the country. All of my brothers have achieved monumental success: surgeons, hedge fund managers, a U.S. military weapons designer. My pledge brother Stephen Nitkin has launched CYC Fitness, a huge new health club/social studio chain thriving in big college towns. We even claim Larry David, who was a member of our house in the 60s. (If I ever audition for Larry, I’ll greet him with the secret handshake.)