Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Ninth Great Film Of 2013.

I have a paralyzing fear of being stranded alone – as in, when my gas tank is near empty, I lose my poop.

It’s interesting to see how Gravity has been marketed as a movie about floating in space, when in actuality it’s a total thriller, brilliantly written and epically shot. All with only two actors on screen.

I knew something was up when I read the review by Kenneth Turan, film critic for the LA Times. Kenneth is by far the toughest, curmudgeoniest bastard of a film critic. He hates EVERYTHING. Yet here’s how he kicked off his review:

Gravity is out of this world. Words can do little to convey the visual astonishment this space opera creates. It is a film whose impact must be experienced in 3-D on a theatrical screen to be fully understood.” 

Whoa. Makes me kinda wish somebody had tackled Mr. Turan in the newsroom. Stop him. He’s gone mad.

The bottom line is this: an original film with a 98% Rotten Tomato rating is #1 at the box office. This is a very good thing.