Saturday, August 3, 2013

I Hock.

You ever respond to a really important email? What’s that like?

Every now and then I get hit up by someone wanting me to blog about their acting studio, or phone app, or a whole host of goods and services. I appreciate all of them, but if I’m not genuinely feeling it, I respectfully decline. But the other day, HBO passed along a screener for their newest documentary, and asked me to talk it up. It’s called Casting By, and will air on the network on Monday at 9 p.m.

The doc focuses mainly on Marion Dougherty, head of casting first at Paramount, and then Warner Brothers. Marion discovered James Dean, Warren Beatty and Robert Redford, and broke racial barriers by pairing Mel Gibson and Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon. (Though I’m guessing these days Marion’s busting out the correction tape and expunging Mel’s name from her résumé.)

It’s really good, so hold Monday night and give it a gander.