Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 49: My Job.

I’ve been a dad with a baby strapped to his chest, checking out a cute jogger in the park. I’ve been a bottle of hot sauce.

I’ve killed a man.

I’ve been gay. I’ve been a Nazi. I’ve been Moses.

I’ve been a cop, a fireman, an MMA fighter and a scientist. I was a doctor. Twice.

I’ve been slapped, punched, kicked, stabbed and shot. Last week I was on the most boring date ever, droning on about politics, and a half hour later I was a slick vice principal flirting with a mom.

One of the best things about being an actor is that every experience is unique. The auditions alone allow me to play constantly. And sometimes I even book the job and get to have even more fun. And get paid.

But the bookings are rare, and I accept that. I’m not an actor for the job security – I do it because it suits me. I’ve worked in an office. I’ve worked retail. I’ve watched the clock all day long in all kinds of jobs, and all of them had one thing in common: they were bland.

Acting is difficult, but it’s never dull. I’ve kissed a Playboy playmate. I’ve worked on a NASCAR pit crew. I’ve rappelled down a wall wearing a tuxedo. I’ve driven 110 miles per hour on the 210 Freeway during morning rush hour, with CHP officers chaperoning me the entire way.

I continue to hope casting directors choose me to audition over the 2400 submissions they receive for every role, so I can drive across town with a few changes of clothes in my car and concentrate on delivering the best audition I can in one take because I don’t want the routine of a regular job. Sure, it would be nice to have the certainty of a regular paycheck, but to get it I’d have to trade my unpredictable schedule for a tomorrow that’s exactly like today. And to me, that kind of certainty is frightening.

2 comments:

Donald said...

Yes sir! Great post on the badassness of being an actor.

After reading your blog for the last 3 years and finally moving to LA, You've inspired me to start a blog.

Check it out if you have time. www.donalddoesla.blogspot.com

Matt Shevin said...

Thanks Donald! You made my day.