Wednesday, August 29, 2012

You, Bob Redford – You’re Good.

Summer blockbusters are nice, but I hear there’s an amazing French indy out right now. How about that documentary on the missing Detroit rocker dude that got a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes? Come on, I just wanna learn something. No? Well, can I get a little red wine going with my flick? Let’s slow jam.

The old Sunset Laemmle theater in West Hollywood used to be the place for less mainstream movies, and I had a real affinity for it. It was cozy, with character. The film that I wrote, produced and starred in screened there during a film festival. But time caught up with it and it grew increasingly more run down and smelly until it finally closed its doors last year. Sorry, Laemmle. Here’s your shawl.

But then Robert Redford stepped up and invested $2 million in the theater, stripping the shit out of it and turning it into his newest Sundance Cinema location. Featuring all kinds of shiny objects: digital projectors, reserved stadium seating with side tables, a bistro and a beer and wine bar. And best of all, it’ll be showing lots of independent films and documentaries.

Today, tickets go on sale for the new Sunset 5 for the first time. I’m gonna be there on Friday for opening night. New theater!

In the meantime, Laemmle, no recriminations. No one’s to blame. We just want different things. It’s not you. It’s me.