Monday, August 13, 2012

Weekend Recap: Featuring A Special Guest Blogger.

My weekend in one sentence: ate half a bag of Pirate Booty, threw it away in disgust, dug it out of the trash, then watched Oasis videos on YouTube. I suck.

My former neighbor Sharon, who now lives in Holland, MI, experienced something far more special on Saturday, and emailed me about it. I edited it down a bit to blog size (forgive me Sharon.) Forget about our athletes in London – this is our biggest win:

A marine who was from the local community died recently in Afghanistan. The funeral was yesterday. 

A friend from a town 30 miles away mentioned to me that she had heard Westboro Baptist Church (the “God Hates Fags” folks) was going to protest, and that locals were going to be outside the church where the funeral was held and along the funeral route to block Westboro folk from disrupting the service/tribute to a well-liked local who died in service. 

About a block from my home I noticed people lined up along the street with flags, wearing patriotic t-shirts, etc, and realized it was probably in honor of the marine. 

Had to run an errand, but when I went to turn on the street, I was directed to turn in the other direction by a police officer. There were literally thousands who had lined this particular street (the cemetery was about a block and a half away). It was both a bit eerie (ie, to be a lone car driving on it) and somewhat awe’ing (sp?) to see so many people lining the street with flags. 

I’m not exaggerating – there were literally thousands of motorcycles that went by, a majority of which had flags. Some had Patriot Guard Riders (the new movement to stifle Westboro) displayed on the lower part of their windshields. And there were thousands of locals with flags lined up on both sides of the streets for 7 blocks (the final part of the funeral route.) Everyone was very quiet & it was very respectful. 

Then the hearse went by, men removed baseball caps from their heads, people (including me) put their hands over their hearts to pay tribute. I found myself quite choked up, lump in my throat, tears in my eyes by everything – the motorcycle tribute, the thousands of locals showing support. I turned and my friend and others were wiping tears from their eyes. It’s something I will always remember; a tribute to a local who fell in service and a community's determination that Westboro would not be allowed to disrupt the honoring of this fallen solder. 

I read in today's paper that Westboro did not show up. I also read that Obama signed a bill last Monday where protests are not allowed to occur 2 hours before or after a funeral. I'm assuming that bill came about because of Westboro. 

Thanks, Sharon. America. F yeah.