Friday, June 1, 2012

The Best Theater In All Of Showbiz.

I finally understand the end of The Sixth Sense – those names are the people who worked on the movie!

That should have dawned on me long ago, seeing as I spend many evenings at the ArcLight Cinema in Hollywood. The place is easily the epicenter of cinema, and the best place to be for any opening night.

But it’s not just because the theater is literally located in the heart of Hollywood at Sunset and Vine. Take the above shot of me with my friends Gary and Aina. Just after we’d fallen in love with Moonrise Kingdom, it made it that much more special to see the costumes and major props from the film on display in ArcLight’s lobby. Every week is a new set of costumes/props, corresponding to the newest big release.

 I see major celebrities casually attending films almost every time I’m there. And they’re wise to do so. Every showtime features assigned seats you choose online, and before each movie there are only previews – no commercials. Plus there’s a great restaurant and bar in the lobby, and the second you sit down your waiter will ask what time your movie starts, then write it in big crayon numbers on your tablemat so that he’ll know to hustle and get you out on time.

 I love the place. And when you go there you will too, because statistics don’t lie: 50% of marriages end in divorce, but 100% of ArcLight movie nights end in happiness.