Friday, December 9, 2011

Kickass Q&A.

The screening of Drive I attended was followed by an interview and questions with the film’s director, cinematographer and Albert Brooks. I was so happy I could’ve burst into blogging. Here are a few interesting notes:

1) While Drive features lots of cars hauling ass, Director Nicolas Winding Refn is a bit of a European flake and has a phobia of cars, so he doesn’t drive.

2) When Ryan Gosling initially had dinner with Refn to talk about making a film, Refn had spent the day battling the flu while shooting a film with notorious stoner Harrison Ford. Harrison gave him special flu “medication” that made him so stoned he lost his hearing and ability to focus, and asked Ryan to just drive him home. Sitting in the passenger seat, tripping his balls off as Ryan drove, he had the idea for the film’s premise. (He then had the novel Drive adapted.)

3) Refn claimed Albert Brooks was his first choice to play the mob-type character Bernie Rose (take that with a grain of salt – directors always claim their stars were their first choices) but was slightly worried about Albert pulling off the physicality. So as he left Refn’s home after they first met, Albert suddenly turned and slammed Refn up against the wall. The role was his.

Everyone have a great weekend. I’ll be shopping for a new vacuum. Going by myself, but I really wish I was going with YOU.