Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 7: Gettin’ Theatrical On My Ass.

With an inability to string together more than three paragraphs at a time – and a proclivity for cursing – I don’t pretend for a second that I’m any sort of skilled writer. (But hey – I could do worse.)

Last night, I saw the play Seminar on Broadway. Alan Rickman stars as a fiction workshop teacher who earns an obscene amount of money by beating the living shit out of his students’ confidence.

Note to Broadway producers: if you want to earn your money back and then some, simply cast Alan Rickman. It felt as if it didn’t matter how good or bad this play was getting reviewed (it was great), the theater was jam packed with people wanting to see Rickman, and they applauded the second he appeared on stage. He didn’t disappoint, especially during a long monologue in which his character spills his guts about his slimy rise and fall as a novelist.

P.S. to Broadway producers: it seems to me that the seats in your venues are becoming increasingly narrower as you try to sell as many tickets as ergonomically possible. My little brother and I were collectively able to fit about half a butt-cheek onto our seats last night. This trend has to stop now, producers, before my anti-Semitism reaches new heights. You’ve been warned.