Thursday, August 18, 2011

Get Your Butt To LA, Part 16: I Make A House Call. (Sort of.)

Every time I wear my Maryland Terps cap, someone yells “TERPS!” at me. So today I went and got a new “YOU’RE NOT BAD AT EVERYTHING” hat.

Truth be told, I’d like to think I’m good at one or two things, such as giving advice to a new actor. And the other night, I got a question messaged to me from a fella across the country, and I thought I'd repost our conversation. A lazy blog-entry yes, but like Bill Cosby said before every “Fat Albert” episode, “Pay attention and you might just learn something”:

ACTOR: Hey Matt! Sorry to bug you I just had a quick question. I recently landed a great agent here and I decided to try to get a few things under my belt before I make my way to LA. I have my first commercial audition tomorrow – a basketball-related commercial. I am thinking about wearing a t-shirt and jeans to the audition and I was wondering if this would seem unprofessional or if it would be okay since typical males are not going to dress up to watch a game with the guys?
ME: It's a very good question. If the role is for a guy watching a game, then absolutely go with a t-shirt and jeans. Remember: this isn't a job interview; it's an audition. Dress to establish the character you're playing. Casting people want to instantly know you’re him, so you’re right-on with your choice.
ACTOR: Okay great! One more thing. I don't want to sound picky or anything but the dialogue is pretty horrible as most sports-related commercials are. Any suggestions for working with bad dialogue?
ME: When you rehearse it, replace the dialogue you feel uncomfortable about with words you would use yourself. That way you'll get the feeling for your character before switching back to the script’s words. Don't change them unless you’re told you can. Writers hate that.
ACTOR: Okay cool. I guess I should have said “unnatural,” not bad. I don't think there is such thing as bad dialogue.
ME: Never judge the material. Everything you audition for won’t always be brilliant.
ACTOR: Can't argue there. I think I am just a little nervous. The problem is there are only four casting directors in this city that actually cast legit material. Supposedly they are all very close and if you don't impress them word gets around. So I am over-analyzing everything I am sure, which I know is silly since they want me to get the job
ME: I haven't blogged about nerves yet. I’ll have to.
ACTOR: Well you covered not looking at casting directors as bad people since they more than anyone want you to get the part because then they have done their job, which is kinda the same.
ME: Learn your lines. Don't over-learn them. And then deliver them tomorrow like it's an improv scene.
ACTOR: Oh I like that! Damn maybe you should look into being an acting coach. You could make a killing charging for this!
ME: Nah. Just helping fellow actors.
ACTOR: I'll leave you alone now! Have a great night!

The result: the casting director pulled him aside and told him he’d done the best job of than anyone he’d seen that day. Terrific. However, he's white, and as the day had progressed, the advertisers decided to go with ethnicities instead. It happens. All you can do is do your job, thank them for having you, and go to bed that night knowing you rocked it. And new actor, you rocked it.